Sunday, April 25, 2010


Since leaving my home in Alameda last September, I have walked 1220 miles. I am into Nebraska.

I have been across Nebraka twice--once each way. It was April 1992. Dorey and I had been married the last December and I was going to Minnesota to meet her parents. Yes, that' right folks. I did not meet Dorey's parents until after we were married. I figure that why I am married to Dorey. Before the fact, they could have tried to talk her out of it. After the fact, well, you just have to smile and live with it.

I don't remember a lot about the trips across Nebraska that April, other than that the trip was long and Nebraska was flat.

Dorey and I were talking about this figurative trip yesterday. I said that the figurative me is going to take a long time to get through this area. Dorey pointed out that my pioneer ancestors made the trip from Nebraska to Utah in three months. She said that I was just being slow in my walking. She is right.

I have heard that most of those pioneers were in the best shape of their lives when they arrived in Utah. After all, they were walking 10 to 20 miles a day, and eating a very healthy diet. I have lost some weight since I started walking--not enough mind you--but some. So I believe the statement out the shape of my ancestors. Oh well, more walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment