
The figurative me has made it to, and have passed Salt Lake City, Utah. I have walked 758 miles since leaving Alameda. I am walking up Parleys Canyon on I-80 to the cutoff to Park City, Utah.
Having Mormon pioneers in my background, I am always amazed when I travel up and down Parleys Canyon. It is very steep. I have seen many semi trucks lose their brakes out here on the slopes. I can’t imagine how they were able to keep a full wagon from barreling down the canyon.
I may make it close enough to Park City to attend the Sundance film festival. Dorey and I once attended with our friend Steven Wood. This was in 1982, when the festival was in its infancy. We were students at BYU. Steven drove. Driving with Steven is always an experience, as he spends most of his time looking backward. Adding to the experience was that it was snowing as we climbed out of Provo to the Deere Creek reservoir. I kept wondering about our sanity about this trip to see a couple of movies.
We saw two documentaries that night–one was Clothesline–a documentary about how women throughout the world are connected by a clothesline. The other was Errol Morris’s Vernon, Florida. The crowd was amused by both. We ate at the Tacotime in Heber on the way home. Strange what you remember nearly 30 years after the event.

Maybe it would have been easier for the pioneers just to strap everything in and roll down the mountain.
ReplyDelete