
I have crossed the Nevada desert on the I-80 route more times that I can count. I have, however, never walked--either figuratively or literally--across the desert. Even doing it figuratively is more than I can take.
We crossed the desert a few times with our friends, Steven and Betsy Wood. We were all attending BYU at the time. Steve’s family lived in Sacramento, so we would drive with Steve and Betsy to get home during breaks. Driving with Steve was always an adventure. He used to drive with his head facing backward. We would sort of bug Steve to look the other way around, but he would was interested in whatever was behind him more than he was interested in what was ahead of him.
But that was not the worst part of a trip with Steve. These trips usually took place in November or December, when it was very cold out on the desert. We stopped a couple of times at the Taco Time in Elko on these trips. At about Wendover, Steve’s bowels would begin to rumble. My, oh my, the gas that he could pass. Still makes my eyes water just thinking about Steve breaking wind. And we could not roll down the windows. Dorey and I still measure all bad smells by the smells let out by Steve on those trips. We have never found a close competitor. More on these trips in later posts.
The stats: I have walked 509,806 steps in 42 days. That means that I have walked 241 miles in 42 days. My next stop is Lovelock. It's 73 miles from here. As I do these 73 miles, I dream of the United Kingdom and Europe. Yesterday's picture was of the Cardiff Castle. Today's picture is of Hyde Park taken from the Marriott Park Lane on a December morning in 2003. Not a great picture, but a great memory.

No comments:
Post a Comment