
A year ago on November 1, we woke up early, packed the car, and left Cobden headed for Toronto. Arriving in Toronto about four hours later, we parked our car, and walked toward the the CNN Tower. I was not going to go up, but decided, what the heck, you only live once. So we bought tickets, and stood in the line, and waited for our elevator to take us up the tower.
At last it was time for 17 other people and us to go to the top. We entered the elevator. The attendant pressed the button. The elevator did not move. He pressed the button again. The elevator did not move a second time. Again, no go.
We stood in that packed elevator for the next 45 minutes. Our other riders were folks from India who only the day before had seen snow for the first time, a couple of Italian folks travelling around the country, a local family out on a pre-Christmas trip, and a bubble brain who was trying to convert us to her mediation approach. I really wanted to dropkick that woman after a while.
She showed us how to meditate, and how to relieve stress by rubbing between your thumb and first finger. I rubbed, and remained stressed. Someone told a long and unamusing joke. We received calls that the Otis elevator man was on his way. Finally the door opened and we were free.
The building took us to the cafeteria, and made us complete some nonsense. They then gave us a free coke, and a free ride to the observation deck of the building. On this ride, our elevator went up, and then stopped about half way up. It started going back down. Our attendant, who was a supervisor, called down and yelled that these folks were in no mood to have any screw ups. Finally, we made it to the top.
Strange thing--once you get to the top, there's not a lot to look at.
In any event, as the figurative me is walking to Lovelock, the literal me is thankful for the opportunity to think about wide open spaces.
I have walked 560,840 steps in 46 days,or 265 miles. I have 49 miles until I reach Lovelock.

No comments:
Post a Comment