
The figurative me is still out there, hoping to make it to Winnemucca by Thanksgiving. The literal me is warm inside our home in Alameda, California. Neither me can find the rest of my notes from our trip to Wales. So here’s the last part of my sister’s narrative for my parents’ 50 wedding anniversary:
Liz: After the honeymoon, Granddad and Sharyn had a reception in Oakland. Here’s what Sharyn had to say about that: I honestly can’t tell you if it was before Christmas or after. I honestly can’t remember. I’m sure my mother could tell you. My roommate, Joan, came down and was one of my bridesmaids. Who else, My sisters, I guess that was about it. Our two fathers were both Bishops, so hundreds of people came to that reception at the Oakland Chapel on McArthur Boulevard. It’s now the Evergreen Baptist Church. And I remember Denny and Ronnie standing outside telling people that they couldn’t come in if they didn’t have presents.
Brittany: According to the newspaper, the reception took place on December 22. Grandmother Higham did most of the work. She said, So we had a big bash down at the church on MacArthur Blvd. It was a nice wedding. We did a lot of decorating, between my friend and me. According to Linda, it kept Grandmother really busy. She said, It was a weird, busy exciting time. I remember Mom and Dad were so busy that we didn’t get our Christmas tree until Christmas Eve. That was unheard of in the Higham Family. We usually got our tree in the beginning of December, so we could enjoy it all month. But that year, Mom and Dad went out and got the tree on Christmas Eve. It was very abnormal.
Tammy: Linda really enjoyed the reception. Here’s what she remembers. The party for Sharyn and Bob was very cool, it was wonderful. You have to imagine, the oldest daughter of the bishop in Oakland marrying the oldest son of the bishop of Lafayette, everyone wanted to go. It was a wedding monster. There were probably 1200 people there, at least 1,000. Linda also said, I remember distinctly that I had the feeling I was losing my second Mom. Sharyn was 10 years old than me, and she was a really fun big sister. Of course, I loved Bob, Bob became my big brother.
Chelsea: By the way, if you were wondering what Linda wore at the wedding, you could refer to the newspaper article: Miss Linda Higham, sister of the bride, will be the bridesmaid. Miss Bradbuy [maid of honor] will don a ballerina-length gown of aqua taffeta, and Miss Higham, a pink gown of the same design. Their nosegays will be of carnations.
Justin: The reception made a big impression on Granddad. Here’s what he said: Nothing to be said about the reception. It was just a standard Mormon thing: Except one thing has changed, we had the gifts. You would display all the gifts on a table. Well, now this is just considered crass. It’s how you did things. People would come and admire the toasters.
Kate: We asked Leslie what she remembers. Here’s what she said. I’ve racked my brains. I really don’t remember much of anything. I was just a little girl, only six years old. All I remember is running around the rec hall. She couldn’t even remember what dress she wore. Fortunately, the newspaper article covers that detail, telling us: Flower Girl Leslie Ann Higham will be in a frock of aqua taffeta.
Devon: But Leslie does recall something about that time. I remember Franks and his girlfriends. They would sit in the front seat of the car and Kiss, and I would be in the back just dying of embarrassment. It was the most awful thing, and they did it just to tease me. But I don’t remember Bob and Sharyn doing anything like that.
Nick: Frank, who was 18 at the time, has vivid memories of the reception. He said, I showed up. I was there. Actually what he really remembers was the effect of the wedding on Christmas. Christmas was really sparse that year. Mom and Dad were really too busy, and al the money was going to the wedding. I didn’t really mind though.
Sean: Merrill was also very helpful. He said, Of course I was only three when Sharyn and Bob got married so I don’t remember much. He was actually about 10 years older than that, but then, Uncle Merrill was never good with numbers. Doug, who really was only two when Sharyn and Granddad got married, says he really can’t remember a thing.
Nick: Well, thanks everybody, that was very helpful. I guess that pretty much answers all my questions about how Sharyn and Granddad met. Does anyone have anything else to add?
Liz: Well, naturally, Grandmother wanted to put in a last word. Here’s how she summed the whole thing up. Bob has been a good son-in-law. Every spring he comes out here and puts a flower garden in my backyard. And Sharyn is a good daughter. She is always checking up on me.
Jeff: So that about says it all. Congratulations, Sharyn and Granddad, on making it through 50 years. And thanks for sticking with it because if you hadn’t none of us would have been here.
____________
I have walked 787,949 steps in 68 days. That is 377 miles since I left my home. I will be in Winnemucca in 10 miles.

No comments:
Post a Comment