Friday, August 14, 2009

April Not In Paris But Idaho Part Ten


We left Idaho Falls at about 10:00, hoping to make it to Meridian by about 2:30 p.m. That evening, the Curtis family was hosting an open house for Kate and Jacob. There was going to be a reception line at which I was expected to stand and smile and greet people. So I had to practice being a nice guy. Mostly I had to get stuff out of my system. I asked the folks in the car to feed me lines.

Oh, you're from California. Do you know Frank Smith?

Why, I practiced, you know Frank?

Yes. He's a great guy. How do you know Frank?

Option One: Well, I met Frank during our time in San Quentin.

Option Two: Did you know that Frank has died?

Option Three: Frank is my lover.

Another line: I bet you find that Boise is a little bit different than California.

Option One: Why, not really. I found Boise to be very diverse. Why, I even saw a Black guy at the Boise mall.

Option Two: You think?

Option Three: Yeah, that's true. Boise's gay pride parade is three guys on bikes in speedos.

Other than this, the trip was uneventful. We only stopped in American Falls, again for gas. We made calls to Christian, who was making this same trip in his own car so that he could attend the reception, and to Kate, to make certain that she and Jacob arrived in Boise safe and sound in the middle of the night.

Now the stats: On Wednesday, I walked 11,752 steps. On Thursday, I walked 12,694 steps. Overall, as of this moment, 12:08 p.m. on Friday, August 14, 2009, I have 599,353 steps in 50 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment