
We were out among the humans this morning, which was weird. We started our walk at 7:00 a.m., rather than the usual 5:30 a.m. It’s a different sort of person in the light. They are normal, unsuspicious, friendly folk. I didn’t quite know how to react to these folks, especially after my time with the mole people.
Our next little venture in Idaho--we headed over to the church for Kate and Jacob’s open house at about 4:15 p.m. The Curtis family had gone over the night before to decorate, so we were supposed to do whatever was left.

Generally, my thoughts of church receptions is not great. Most of them are like putting a little toilet paper in the high school gym and calling it a prom. However, the Curtis family made the church hall look splendid--elegant in its simplicity. There were tables filled with pictures of Jacob and Kate. There was beautiful western lanterns lighting the place. They had set up several areas in a western theme. The flowers throughout the building were the perfect reminder of the renewal of spring. I loved the look. Most impressive was the quilt made by Jacob’s now deceased grandmother which was draped over a stand. Simply beautiful.

Folks came and more folks came. I smiled and performed the best I could. I was truly on my best behavior. All of the folks who came through the line said what a special family the Curtis family was. I sure that no one said that to the Curtis family about us a week later at the California reception. No, they probably said what rude, obnoxious folks we were.
Another thing struck me. All of the folks who had kids Jacob’s age said that Jacob had grown up at their house. The first time Kate talked about Jacob to us, she said, “Jacob is the world’s friend.” I gathered that was absolutely true. Folks seemed to have a genuine affection for the guy--another spark contrast to me. Folks don’t have a lot of affection for me--rather, they love to dislike me. That ok with me--after all, I am one of the mole people.
Today’s stats: Yesterday, I walked 16,007 steps. Overall, as of this moment, 10:57 a.m. on Saturday, August 22, 2009, I have walked 701,565 steps in 58 days.

No comments:
Post a Comment