Friday, August 21, 2009

April Not In Paris But Idaho




I have not written here since Sunday. What have I been doing? I wish I could say that my life has been full of exciting events making it impossible to write, but really, it has not been.

But I have walked. I have stayed on pace, never dropping below 10,500 steps in a day. On Sunday, I walked 11,718 steps. On Monday, I walked 11,789 steps. On Tuesday, I walked 12,790 steps. On Wedesday, I walked 11,464 steps. And yesterday, I walked 10,709 steps. Overall, as of this moment, 10:33 a.m. on Friday, August 21, 2009, I have walked 685,001 steps in 57 days.

Because I know you are dying for it, here’s the next part of the trip to Idaho last April:

We arrived at the Curtis house at about 2:30 p.m., where we had been invited to eat a spread of sandwiches before the open house. Before we arrived, my parents asked if they thought they could cut out of this affair, as they were tired, and wanted to rest before the open house. I said that it probably didn’t matter. What I wanted to say is, and what I had noticed this entire trip, was that my parents were getting old. Before, they would never get out of an event on the tiredness excuse if they were really tired. They may use the excuse, but it was not because they wanted to rest. Rather, it was that they wanted to go out to eat. But this time, I think they wanted to take a nap. Getting old, guys, getting old.

I was starving when I arrived––but did not want to seem more of a pig than I am. So I waited, and then nibbled. I should have eaten more.

There were a lot of people in the house––Jacob’s siblings, their spouses and their children were all running around. Some of them looked exactly alike, and I gave up trying to match them up. There were Harold’s brother and spouse, and Cheryl’s brother and spouse. Cheryl’s brother had been on a mission to Minnesota in the late 1950s, and had served in Dorey’s hometown. Dorey’s parents were not members of the church at the time, but held church in their living room. He might have run across Dorey’s parents way back then. In any event, it made Kate’s introduction into the family a little bit easier.

I have also told in this blog about another Red Wing connection we discovered during this lunch. Here it is again:

The Red Wing pottery. Small world type of thing. Harold Curtis, Kate's father-in-law, had a piece of Red Wing pottery in his home. Dorey’s home town is Red Wing, Minnesota, where the pottery is made. Before working in the tannery, Dorey’s dad worked at Red Wing Pottery.

Harold told the story as to how he came to possess that piece of pottery. He found it in his parents home when the family was closing up the home. His sisters and Harold drew lots as to which child would take possession of the pottery. Harold’s sisters insisted that they draw lots a second time after Harold won the pot in the first round. He won the second round and the third round as well. His sisters figured that perhaps there was a purpose in Harold winning the pot three times. There was, as Dorey felt right at home with a pot from her hometown in Kate’s new in-laws house.


Kate, Dorey and I sat down at a table to eat our sandwiches. A couple of other folks joined us. We started talking about how happy we were that Kate never caused us to get up in the middle of the night to come down to the police station to pull her out. I said that I did not think Kate would have lasted long in the pokey with the girls from East 14th. We started joking around, pushing this theme a little too far. Kate later said that perhaps I had gone over the top, discussing hookers on East 14th the first time I met most of Jacob’’s family. She might have a point.

We then changed and prepared to go to the open house. It was being held at the local ward house from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. It had to be early because the stake was putting on a Easter program in the evening.

The above-post was taken in April, but not in Idaho, and not in 2009. Rather, it was taken in April 2006, when Kate was a senior in high school, and we took her and a couple of friends to Kauai over the spring break. Kate and her friends were at the beach, or perhaps still asleep, when Dorey and I went to the gardens with this statue.

No comments:

Post a Comment