
The real me is in Alameda. The figurative me has moved from near the LDS church down to Webster Street in Alameda. I then turned right and walked through the Posey Tube into Oakland. I have now circled up onto the 880, and switched onto the 24 toward Walnut Creek. I will soon be at the Caldecott Tunnel.
As a kid, I always considered Alameda to be a ghetto--a poor navy town. I had some friends here, but spent little time over here. Even those guys that I knew were pretty rough. I would never live here.

Then, as we were looking for a place to live after the first year of law school, my father suggested that we look in Alameda. We went and found a lovely apartment in a fourplex on San Jose Avenue. Shortly after moving in, we knew that we had found our spot.
It is a nice compromise. There are lots of folks who have lived here for generations. Alameda thus has a small town feel. Dorey never goes to the grocery store without seeing someone she knows. At the same time, we are close enough to San Francisco that we can get the big city stuff when we want to.
We left Alameda for a couple of years to work in Los Angeles. We spend our entire time trying to get back to Alameda. Both our kids went through school here, although Christian started kindergarten in Los Angeles.

Another reason to love Alameda--the weather. It is usually between 50 and 70 here. Today it is probably 90, but that is only going to last for a few days, and then we are back to great weather.
We often say that we are going to move--but that would mean leaving Alameda.

The real me was actually in Oakland on the day that the figurative me was walking down the 24 freeway. We went with my parents to the Oakland A's game on Friday night. The A's played the Indians that evening. After the game were fireworks. The picture above is of fireworks.
So on day two, I walked 12,899 steps, or 6.1 miles. On day three, I walked 12,532 steps, or 5.9 miles. In three days, I have walked 37,431 steps, or 18.1 miles.
Three days down, 579 days and 2892.4 miles to go.

No comments:
Post a Comment