
We have been to Tahoe on numerous occasions. As a kid, we would go there to play in the snow. We had several church youth ski trips there over the years. However, in general, my trips to Tahoe as an adult have not been positive.
We went on a honeymoon there. We climbed the hill in a blizzard. I was the leader of a long pack of cars. I kept wanting another car to go around me to take over the lead, but none would. Twenty-seven years later, as Dorey and I drive to Tahoe on Highway 50, we still remark about that miserable Saturday night in Tahoe.
That ride in the white out did not end the misery of that particular trip. The next day found me with my face in the porcelain God, paying my tithe. I figured that if Dorey could still love me after spending two days of our first days together cleaning up my vomit that this marriage thing might stick.
(I note that this is something of a family tradition. My great-grandparents Farr took a ship from Los Angeles to San Francisco on their honeymoon. Grandfather Farr recorded in his journal that his new wife spent her time on the boat feeding the fishes).

So the first trip to Tahoe as a married couple did not go well. Nor did the second. Well, the trip went well, but on the afternoon of our return, we were in a fabric store. All of a sudden, my back twinged and knotted, and I was out of it for two days. I have always blamed Tahoe.
The next trip was one in which we met Dorey's sister and her husband. After they left, I became very ill, running 101 temperature.
After this, we have been nervous about trips to Tahoe. The last few have been uneventful.
The trip on Saturday was no exception. We drove into South Lake Tahoe, and parked in the Mont Bleu Casino parking lot. An arts and craps show was being held there, and we wandered through it. We bought a small present for Kate for Christmas (if you read this, Kate, act surprised). Since we don't gamble, and because I don't like outdoor activities on warm days, we walked down to the movie theater to get out of the heat. Actually, Tahoe was nice in the shade, and only slightly warm in the sun. But because I don't want to be in the sun at all. So we saw "Taking Woodstock." A bit too many naked people running around, but otherwise ok.
After the movie, we walked to the Hard Rock Casino to buy Christian a t-shirt from that shop. At that, I was ready to flee South Lake Tahoe before the curse of the lake made me ill.
And the stats: Yesterday, I walked 11,207 steps. Overall, as of this moment, 7:54 p.m. on Wednesday, September 2, 20099, I have walked 841,794 steps in 69 days.

No comments:
Post a Comment