Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tahoe/Reno The End


So we changed, checked out, and then headed off to Virginia City. I have been to Virginia City on a couple of occasions. The first time was when I was eight. We were on our way to Utah for a vacation. I remember little about that visit, other than we passed a theater which was showing Marilyn Monroe's movie, The Seven Year Itch. I asked my mother if we could watch it. She said that I wouldn't understand it. Having seen it several years later, I still don't understand it.



Dorey and I went to Virginia City on our honeymoon after I recovered from the stomach flu. Nothing sticks about this trip. Then we went several years ago when we met Dorey's sister and brother-in-law in Tahoe. Christian and Kate panned for gold. Since I was in Tahoe, I was starting to become ill, and that evening, I was running a 103 temperature. So my recall of Virginia City is limited.

Now I have been and can recall, Virginia City ain't much. It's full of really pretty rough folk, and folk dressed up in costumes. There were also some folks in civil war attire, creating a discongruity in the town. We walked up and down the streets of the town, and took a short tour, ate lunch and left town. Never have to go there again.



We headed to Truckee, where we had a work party. And then home. Trip report mercifully done.

What I learned on this trip:

1) Arts and craps fairs are bad the world over, even in South Lake Tahoe.
2) Work parties are a good excuse to get out of town.
3) Sparks is a growing town, but walking in the industrial section is pretty boring.
4) It's nice not to have a plan, but I need a plan.




Now the stats: On Friday, I walked 12,818 steps. On Saturday, I walked 11,362 steps. On Sunday, I walked 10,731 steps. On Monday, I walked 16,943 steps. On Tuesday, I walked 10,909 steps. As of this moment, 6:29 p.m. on Wednesday, September 9, 2009, I have walked 926,758 steps in 75 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment