Sunday, July 19, 2009

Chinatown


Yesterday morning, Dorey and I woke up early and took BART to San Francisco to walk through Chinatown. The book we used as a guide, "Historic Walks In San Francisco" largely kept us off away from the shops on Grant Avenue. Rather, it led us to the spots of former cathouses and gambling parlors. Girls were often kidnapped in China and brought to San Francisco and sold into prostitution. After about five years, they were worn out. They were brought to an alley called The Hospital, where they would be left to die. A miserable existence.

One Christian organization tried to assist the girls leave the life. Its mission home was built using bricks which were scavenged from the built bricks from the post-Earthquake fire. Above is a picture of some of these bricks.

Yesterday, I walked 11,487 steps. As of this moment, 5:37 p.m. on July 19, 2009, I have walked in total 281,685 steps in 24 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment