This morning, Dorey and I walked around the neighborhood. We came to an elementary school, a place we have driven by nearly daily over the past 12 years. Our kids did not go to this school, so we had never walked around it. The corridors were open, and we trekked around the place.
I was struck with how small the school was. When I was in elementary school at Woodside Elementary in Concord all these years ago, the place seemed so huge. It and the cul-de-sac on which we lived was my world. Now I know that my world was so small.
My friends and I would go to play on the blacktop on Woodside Elementary on Saturday mornings. For several Saturdays, we would catch a young couple--probably no more than 15 or 16, spread out on a blanket in one corridor of the school spread out on a blanket making out. Our basketball game came to an end as we watched these guys go for it--whatever the mystery of it was. One week, they were not there, and we resumed our basketball. Actually, the couple provided a better education than anything I learned on the basketball court. Walking this morning through the elementary school, the couple could have been there, perhaps giving me a masters class on the subject. They weren’t, though, dang it.
Actually, even though they will be 16 forever in my mind, that couple would in their mid-50s now. I wonder if they ever told their kids about making out in the halls of Woodside Elementary School in Concord, California.
Today stats: Yesterday, I walked 12,351 steps. Overall, as of this moment, 8:54 a.m. on June 20, 2009, I have walked 945,039 steps in 85 days. Note: The picture was taken of our son of a couple in Rome. At least they, unlike my elementary chums, were upright.

No comments:
Post a Comment