
First the stats (and why doing the stats first will make sense as you read the rest of the post). Yesterday, I walked 11,463 steps. Overall, as of this moment, 8:41 p.m. on June 24, 2009, I have walked 995,323 steps in 89 days.
I love the Tour de France. Actually, I don’t know anything about the Tour de France, other than it is a long bicycle race. But I love the final Sunday of the Tour de France. Saturday is the last true day of competition, and Sunday is spent in a short bike ride into Paris. It’s bad form to compete on that day, so the riders ride, sipping champagne and taking the cheers of the crowd.
Tomorrow is my Sunday at the Tour de France. The competition is over. I will have made my 1,000,000 steps in 100 days. In fact, I will have beat that aim by 10 days. Tomorrow, I am going to get, take an easy stroll, walking off the last 5,000 or so steps. Since I don’t drink alcohol, I will celebrate with my drink of choice–Diet Coke. As I walk, I will accept the accolades of the people who stand there watching me walk. (Ok, it is a rather small and puny crowd of no one). That night, I will celebrate by going to Fenton’s Creamery, and eating the biggest Swiss Milk Chocolate and Carmel Sundae that exists.
Friday morning, the celebration will be over. I will be back out there, walking my 10,000 steps, hoping to reach 1,000,000 steps in 95 days. That means that I will need to average 10,507 steps per day. That’s an extra three minutes a day. How am I going to do it?
Oh, come on, Jon. Worry about that Friday. Tomorrow is to celebrate.
The picture was taken in Regents Park in London in October 2007. It has nothing to do with the entry, but we were walking through Regents Park on a Wednesday afternoon when we ran across this sculpture. I guess the guy is relaxing, which I plan to do tomorrow after finishing my walk.

No comments:
Post a Comment