
In March, I set out to walk 1,000,000 steps in 100 days. As of this moment, about 3:14 p.m. on June 8, 2009, or day 73 of my walk, I have walked, according to my Omron Walking Style pedometer count (highly recommended, boys and girls) 797,117 steps. I am, then six days ahead of my goal. Let the countdown begin.
Why do I walk? Because I am 49, flabby (ok, fat, but let’s not be mean about this), with a job sitting behind a desk and little opportunity to perform any real exercise. I love to travel, but I hate spreading across two seats on the ever narrowing plane seats. Once I am at my destination, I love to walk, to see the streets as the natives see the streets. I have found the travel days have to be cut short because my legs are simply aching from spending the days on the sidewalks of London, Paris, or Kauai. So I walk in anticipation of great traveling ahead. We have a trip to New Orleans to celebrate the 50th in September. Then we have a real trip to England and Denmark to celebrate the 50th in October. My legs are not going to go out on these trips.
My wife, traveling companion and oft walking companion, Dorey, is involved in a million step march of her own. We often take our nine year old greyhound, Ariel, on the neighborhood walks. She is not the best walker for walking sake. She is a bit of a botanist, getting to know on an intimate level every flower and shrub in our San Francisco suburban neighborhood.
In these entries, then, I will record my progress toward this round of the million step march. Once completed, I will record the progress of the next march.
Why do I walk? Because I am 49, flabby (ok, fat, but let’s not be mean about this), with a job sitting behind a desk and little opportunity to perform any real exercise. I love to travel, but I hate spreading across two seats on the ever narrowing plane seats. Once I am at my destination, I love to walk, to see the streets as the natives see the streets. I have found the travel days have to be cut short because my legs are simply aching from spending the days on the sidewalks of London, Paris, or Kauai. So I walk in anticipation of great traveling ahead. We have a trip to New Orleans to celebrate the 50th in September. Then we have a real trip to England and Denmark to celebrate the 50th in October. My legs are not going to go out on these trips.
My wife, traveling companion and oft walking companion, Dorey, is involved in a million step march of her own. We often take our nine year old greyhound, Ariel, on the neighborhood walks. She is not the best walker for walking sake. She is a bit of a botanist, getting to know on an intimate level every flower and shrub in our San Francisco suburban neighborhood.
In these entries, then, I will record my progress toward this round of the million step march. Once completed, I will record the progress of the next march.

No comments:
Post a Comment