Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day Post


Yesterday, after our morning walk, Dorey and I went to the local farmer’s market. We picked up some bread, carrots, celery, oranges, and balsamic vinegar. Dorey went off to attend a baby shower so Christian and I went to see Year One. I fell asleep in the warm theater. I don’t think that I started to snore too loud, as I don’t recall Christian poking me.

I have never been much of a sleeper. Most nights, I wake up at about 2:00 a.m., and am up for a couple of hours. I then go back to sleep, and sleep until about 6:00 a.m. At night, I am so exhausted that I often hit the sack about 8:00 p.m., taking an hour or two to get to sleep.

I wish there was something that I could do to change this sleep pattern, but I have followed it since I was a teen. My siblings follow the same pattern, so there must be a genetic component. When we get together, we talk about the reruns we watched on Nick At Night. We praise the advent of Hulu, which helps kill those early morning hours. We talk about the books and magazines that, blurry eyed and without much comprehesion, we read in our futile attempts to go back to sleep.

You would think that all this walking would help me stay asleep. Nope. If anything, I have a more disturbed sleep pattern with the walking. My legs ache at 2:00 a.m. in the morning--worse than anytime during the day.

All this to say, sometimes when I am sitting in a warm movie theater, my head nods and I get comfortable. Then I sleep, a deep REM sleep. Nothing I can do to fight it. Any why fight it? It’s often the best use of my money.

Here’s my stats: Yesterday, I walked 13,743 steps. Overall, I have walked, as of this moment, 959,945 steps in 86 days.

For Father’s Day, here’s a picture taken a couple of years ago of the two that came from my loins Thanks for being such great folks, Christian and Kate. And Happy Father's Day to my dad, Bob, and to my father-in-law, Les, now deceased.

No comments:

Post a Comment